Muffins don’t have to be sweet or loaded with empty calories. Try making these delicious savoury muffins packed full of veggies, making the perfect snack for the whole family. Super quick & easy to make, no fancy equipment needed and very little mess (even when making these with a 2-year-old!).
Taste great straight from the oven with a little butter or equally good cold. They freeze well too so no excuse to reach for that biscuit tin!
Prep-time 10 minutes – Baking time 20 minutes – Makes 12
- 2 medium eggs
- 150ml milk
- 75g butter, melted
- 150g grated cheddar cheese
- 1 spring onion, chopped
- 75g fresh baby spinach, chopped
- 1/2 red pepper, chopped
- 250g self raising flour
- 1 x tsp of vegetable stock
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 180c / 350f and line a muffin tin with 12 muffin cases
- Whisk the eggs in a large bowl and stir in the milk and melted butter. Mix in the grated cheese, spring onion, baby spinach and pepper
- Add the flour, salt and pepper and stock. Mix well until combined
- Fill all 12 muffin cases and bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes until cooked
Carrot & Courgette Muffins….
For those with a sweeter tooth. Perfect for little people and lunchboxes too.
Prep-time 15 minutes – Baking time 15 minutes – Makes 12
- 1 egg
- ½ courgette, grated
- ½ carrot, grated
- Handful of raisins
- 2 x tbsp milk – more if mixture is too dry
- 1 x tbsp sunflower oil
- 75g plain flour
- 1 x tsp baking powder
- 15g light soft brown sugar to sweeten
- Preheat the oven to 220c / 450f and line a muffin tin with 12 muffin cases
- Whisk the eggs in a large bowl and stir in the courgette, carrot, raisins, milk and sunflower oil until sticky and well combined
- Fill all 12 muffin cases and bake in the oven for 15 minutes until cooked. Set on wire rack to cool before eating.