My family love pancakes and not just on Shrove Tuesday! Always a huge favourite for brekkie, lunch or dinner, sweet or savoury. They are quick and easy to make, and you can make them super healthy. It’s an easy way to slip a few veggies into a comfort food.
Baking with veggies couldn’t be easier, raw and grated, cooked or pureed. Carrots, beets, zucchini, pumpkin and sweet potato are all easy to enjoy in baked goods. Not only do they improve texture but add moisture, fibre and nutrients. Sometimes we end up with more veggies than the family can eat so this is how we use them and reduce waste. Who would have thought eating a ‘cake’ could help towards your ‘5 a day’?! Be adventurous and give this recipe a go.
Whole Wheat Zucchini Pancakes
Prep-Time 10 minutes
Cooking Time 20 minutes
½ cup flour whole-wheat or spelt four
½ cup plain flour
1 x cup grated zucchini
2 x tbsp ground flaxseed
1 x tsp baking powder
2 x large eggs
2 x tbsp cooking oil
1 x cup milk
1 x tbsp molasses
Pinch of salt
I’ve always doubled ingredients due to demand/greediness
- Whisk the dry ingredients
- In another bowl whisk the eggs then add the oil, milk and molasses
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix until incorporated
- Stir in the zucchini and mix well
- Dollop 1/3 cup on a medium-hot, well-greased frying pan
- Flip when the batter is set, and the edges look sealed. Kids stand back as mum takes centre stage!
- Keep warm until ready to eat
- Drizzle with maple syrup or molasses. Add berries, other fruits, peanut butter, melted chocolate, lemon juice, vanilla crème fraiche, seeds, shredded coconut or fruit compote. Keep eating until you have found that irresistible combination! Now there’s a mouth-watering challenge.